Effective date: June 12, 2017
Ring Inc. and our affiliates (collectively, “Ring”) respect your concerns about privacy. This Privacy Notice describes the types of personal information we obtain and process about consumers and other individuals identified below, how we may use the information, with whom we may share it, and the choices available regarding our use of the information. The Privacy Notice also describes the measures we take to safeguard the personal information and how individuals can contact us about our privacy practices. Ring is the data controller for the personal information we obtain about you, except as described below.
- Information We Collect
- How We Use The Information We Collect
- Information Sharing
- Data Transfers
- Your Choices
- Notice to California Residents
- Other Online Services and Third-Party Features
- How We Protect Personal Information
- Retention of Personal Information
- Updates To Our Privacy Notice
- How To Contact Us
We obtain certain personal information in connection with the products and services we provide. The types of personal information we obtain as a data controller include:
- Contact information, such as name, phone number, and email and postal address;
- Account information, such as online password and other log-in details used to access Ring products and services;
- Payment information, such as name, billing address and payment card details, including card number, expiration date and security code, which is collected and stored by our third-party payment processor on our behalf; Ring stores only the last four digits of your payment card and the expiration date;
- The geolocation of your mobile device if you consent to the collection of this data;
- Product setup information, such as the name and description of your Ring product (for example, “Ring Doorbell – Front Door”) and the location where you install your Ring product, and adjustments you make to the product setup;
- Technical information about your Ring product, such as your Wi-Fi network information and signal strength, and your Ring product’s model, serial number and software version;
- Social media handles, content and other data posted on our official social media pages;
- Information we obtain from third-party social media services (e.g., Facebook) or payment services (e.g., PayPal) if you choose to link to, create or log into your Ring account through these services (including when you share Ring videos or content via your social media account);
- Information we obtain from third-party business partners if you choose to use our Ring+ Service, such as your account ID, account name and email address;
- Information you submit in connection with a career opportunity at Ring, such as contact details, information in your resume and details about your current employment;
- Other personal information contained in content you submit to us, such as through our “Contact Us” feature or customer support tools on our websites or mobile apps.
When you interact with our products and services, we obtain in our role as a data controller certain information by automated means, such as cookies, web server logs, web beacons, and other technologies. A “cookie” is a text file that websites send to a visitor’s computer or other Internet-connected device to uniquely identify the visitor’s browser or to store information or settings in the browser. A “web beacon,” also known as an Internet tag, pixel tag or clear GIF, links web pages to web servers and their cookies and may be used to transmit information collected through cookies back to a web server.
We may use these automated technologies to collect information about your equipment, browsing actions, and usage patterns. The information we obtain in this manner may include your device IP address, identifiers associated with your devices, types of devices connected to our services, web browser characteristics, device characteristics, language preferences, referring/exit pages, clickstream data, and dates and times of website or app visits. These technologies help us (1) remember your information so you will not have to re-enter it; (2) track and understand how you use and interact with our products and services; (3) tailor the services around your preferences; (4) measure the usability of our products and services and the effectiveness of our communications; and (5) otherwise manage and enhance our products and services, and help ensure they are working properly.
Your browser may tell you how to be notified when you receive certain types of cookies or how to restrict or disable certain types of cookies. Please note, however, that without cookies you may not be able to use all of the features of our online services. For mobile devices, you can manage how your device and browser share certain device data by adjusting the privacy and security settings on your mobile device.
As a data processor, we process certain information on your behalf and to the extent necessary to provide you with certain services. This section describes the activities for which Ring serves as a data processor.
Our products and services are designed to allow you to see, hear and speak to anyone at your door from your computer or mobile device, and collaborate with others in your community. To provide you with these services, we process and store content (and related information) that is captured and recorded when using our products and services, such as video or audio recordings, live video or audio streams, images, comments, and data our products collect from their surrounding environment to perform their functions (such as motion, events, temperature and ambient light).
Where permitted by applicable law, you may choose to use additional functionality in your Ring product that, through video data from your device, can recognize facial characteristics of familiar visitors. For example, you may want to receive different notifications from your Ring Doorbell depending on whether a visitor is a stranger or a member of your household. If you choose to activate this feature, we obtain certain facial feature information about the visitors you ask your Ring product to recognize. We require your explicit consent before you can take advantage of this feature.
Privacy, data protection and video surveillance laws in your jurisdiction may apply to your use of our products and services. You are the data controller with respect to personal information you obtain when using our products and services (such as video or audio recordings, live video or audio streams, images, comments, and data our products collect from their surrounding environment to perform their functions) and you are solely responsible for ensuring that you comply with applicable law when you use our products or services. For example, you may need to display a notice that alerts visitors to your home that you are using our products or services. Capturing, recording or sharing video or audio content that involves other people, or capturing others peoples’ facial feature information, may affect their privacy and data protection rights.
We may use the information we obtain about you as a data controller to:
- Provide our products and services to you;
- Establish and manage your Ring account and profile;
- Process and fulfill claims and orders in connection with our products and services and keep you informed about the status of your order;
- Personalize your experience with our products and services;
- Allow you to stream, save and share content through our services;
- Identify and authenticate you so you may access certain content or use certain of our services;
- Increase and maintain the safety and security of our products and services and prevent misuse;
- Communicate with you and provide customer support;
- Allow you to interact with certain third-party products or services (for example, to enable you to link to, or view content from, third-party sites within our services, or connect to third-party products and services through the Ring+ service);
- Perform analytics (including market and consumer research, trend analysis, financial analysis, and anonymization of personal information);
- Manage career opportunities at Ring;
- Operate, evaluate, develop, manage and improve our business (including operating, administering, analyzing and improving our products and services; developing new products and services; managing and evaluating the effectiveness of our communications; performing accounting, auditing, billing reconciliation and collection activities and other internal functions);
- Protect against, identify and prevent fraud and other criminal activity, claims and other liabilities; and
- Comply with and enforce applicable legal requirements, relevant industry standards and policies, including this Privacy Notice and our Terms of Service.
We also may use the information we collect about you in other ways for which we provide specific notice at the time of collection and obtain your consent if required by applicable law.
We use third-party web analytics services on our websites and mobile apps. The service providers that administer these services use automated technologies to collect data (such as email and IP addresses) to evaluate use of our websites and mobile apps. To learn more about these analytics services, please click here.
On our websites, we may collect information about your online activities to provide you with advertising about products and services tailored to your interests. Where required by applicable law, we will obtain your consent for the processing of your personal information for direct marketing purposes.
Our websites are not designed to respond to “do not track” signals received from browsers. To learn how to opt out of ad network interest-based advertising in the U.S., please visit www.aboutads.info/choices, http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices/, and http://preferences-mgr.truste.com/. In the European Union, please visit www.youronlinechoices.eu.
We do not sell or otherwise share personal information about you except as described in this Privacy Notice. We may share your personal information with (1) our affiliates and subsidiaries and (2) our service providers who perform services on our behalf, such as order fulfillment and data analytics and storage. We do not authorize our service providers to use or disclose the information except as necessary to perform services on our behalf or comply with legal requirements. We also may share personal information with our business partners with whom we jointly offer products and services or to the extent you use Ring+ to connect to third-party products or services.
We also may disclose information about you (1) if we are required to do so by law or legal process (such as a court order or subpoena); (2) in response to requests by government agencies, such as law enforcement authorities; (3) to establish, exercise or defend our legal rights; (4) when we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to prevent physical or other harm or financial loss; (5) in connection with an investigation of suspected or actual illegal activity; or (6) otherwise with your consent.
We reserve the right to transfer any information we have about you in the event we sell or transfer all or a portion of our business or assets (including in the event of a merger, acquisition, joint venture, reorganization, divestiture, dissolution or liquidation).
Through our Ring+ service, you may choose to connect to certain third-party services offered by our business partners. To activate a connection and allow the Ring products and services to interface with an available third-party service, each Ring+ connection requires the exchange of certain information between Ring and our business partner that is providing the third-party service. For example, to enable you to integrate Ring’s products and services with those of our business partners, we may share certain account information with those business partners, such as your account ID and email address. In addition, we may share certain data our products collect from their surrounding environment that is necessary to perform their functions (such as motion or events outside your door). In each case, we will engage with a given third-party service only if you choose to activate such a connection. You may revoke a connection to a third-party service at any time by contacting Ring at firstname.lastname@example.org or, depending on the particular third-party service, accessing your settings under your account with that service. The privacy statements of our business partners apply to any information practices of those partners and to the information shared with them.
We may transfer the personal information we obtain about you to the United States, which has different data protection laws than the country in which you initially provided the information. To the extent required by applicable law, when we transfer your personal information to recipients in the U.S., we will take measures to protect that information.
If you are located outside the U.S., by submitting personal information to us, you understand that this information will be transferred to Ring in the U.S. If you do not want your personal information transferred to the U.S., please do not submit any information to us or otherwise use our products or services.
We offer you certain choices in connection with the personal information we obtain about you. To update your preferences, limit the communications you receive from us, or submit a request, please contact us as specified in the How to Contact Us [#contactus] section of this Privacy Notice.
As required by law, you may (1) have the right to access certain personal information we maintain about you; (2) request that we update or correct your personal information; (3) object to the processing of your personal information or withdraw your prior consent, if applicable; and (4) ask us to block or delete your personal information from our database. To exercise these rights, please contact us as indicated in the How To Contact Us [#contactus] section of this Privacy Notice. To help protect your privacy and maintain security, we may take steps to verify your identity before granting you access to the information. To the extent permitted by applicable law, a charge may apply before we provide you with a copy of any of your personal information that we maintain.
Notice to California Residents
Subject to certain limits under California law, California residents may ask us to provide them with (1) a list of certain categories of personal information we have disclosed to third parties for their direct marketing purposes during the immediately preceding calendar year, and (2) the identity of those third parties. To make this request, California residents may contact us as specified in the How to Contact Us section below.
Other Online Services and Third-Party Features
Our website and mobile apps may provide links to other online services for your convenience and information, and may include third-party features such as apps, tools, payment services, widgets and plug-ins (e.g., Facebook, Twitter or PayPal buttons). These online services and third-party features may operate independently from us. The privacy practices of the relevant third parties, including details on the information they may collect about you, is subject to the privacy statements of these parties, which we strongly suggest you review. To the extent any linked online services or third-party features are not owned or controlled by us, Ring is not responsible for these third parties’ information practices.
We maintain administrative, technical and physical safeguards designed to protect personal information against accidental, unlawful or unauthorized destruction, loss, alteration, access, disclosure or use.
To the extent permitted by applicable law, we retain personal information we obtain about you as long as (1) it is needed for the purposes for which we obtained it, in accordance with the provisions of this Privacy Notice or (2) we have another lawful basis for retaining that data beyond the period for which it is necessary to serve the original purpose for collecting the data.
When you purchase our products, you may choose to use our Cloud Video Recording Service (“Cloud Service”) on a trial or subscription basis. If you have enabled the recording features of the Cloud Service, we retain the recordings (and any related information) from your product during your recording subscription period so you can access your content during that time period. You may delete your recordings from the Cloud Service at any time by accessing your account. It may take us up to 72 hours to remove those recordings. Additionally, regardless of your use of our Cloud Service, we retain Ring Neighborhood Recordings (as defined in the Terms of Service) so you can participate in the Ring Neighborhood feature if you choose to do so.
This Privacy Notice may be updated periodically and without prior notice to you to reflect changes in our personal information practices. We will post a notice on our websites and mobile apps to notify you of significant changes to our Privacy Notice and indicate at the top of the notice when it was most recently updated.
If you have any questions about this Privacy Notice, or if you would like us to update information we have about you, change your preferences or exercise other applicable data protection rights, please contact us by e-mail at email@example.com or write to us at: